Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How does Child Protective Services handle cases involving…

How does Child Protective Services...
How does Child Protective Services handle cases involving previous substance abuse?
3/8/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your present situation? Has CPS asked you to take a drug test?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello.No I struggled four years ago with situational depression and abused alcohol as a result of many factors. At the time it was hard for me to realize what was happening to my kids and I were not our fault. I received help from various resources and worked very hard to be the happier and healthier individual I am today. I'm worried however how my past may affect my current situation. My daughter is being abused by a narcissistic step parent and to a lesser degree the parent. My daughter would like to live with me full time (she is turning 15 in April) and would like to move forward with the custody modification. I would like advice or work with an attorney that has knowledge and experience with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, PAS (Parental Alienation Syndrome and Parallel vs. Co-parenting.Also my Ex and I have a joint 50/50, Monday to Monday custody arrangement.Thanks very much. If you have any advice and can recommend someone from CT to speak with that very much appreciated.***** *****

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will opt out and hopefully there will be a Connecticut lawyer available who conforms to what you are looking for.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Hi. I am the expert that will be answering your questions.

I am a Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist. I practiced Child Protection Law in Connecticut for 33 years.

Certainly, if you have a previous record of substance abuse CPS it will raise a red flag for CPS. Was there CPS involvement at that time? Are you "on their radar"?

CPS will not automatically get involved if you file for modification in Superior Court. THey will if the Court suspects anything, or if one of the parties (your ex) raises the issue.

Do you have further questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your response. There isn't anything to raise suspicion however they will likely bring up four years ago when CPS substantiated neglect because I was drinking to much wine. There is so much more to tell you about what the kids and I have been through but right now all I can say is my 20 year old son refused to visit his dad and step mom when he was 13 and my daughter is suffering. Her current therapist has helped her cope but has recommended she live with me. My daughter has been asking to live with me and all that know her current situation agree we need to have her live with me. one recent event was they thought she was being disrespectful to the step mom and made her stand on the stair for 9 hours over the weekend. My daughter gets very depressed when she has to return to them and this last week was crying quietly in the car. It's heartbreaking and it's the right time to stop and change this. I'm looking for help from someone that has experience with narcissistic personality and can help us. Thank you again for your time. ***** *****

Is there anything currently pending in Court or with DCF? What part of CT are you in? I may be able to find a referral.

Regardless, you have the right to bring an motion for modification of any current orders. The past is the past... while it may be a red flag, you would have the opportunity to present evidence as to your current situation and improved lifestyle, as well as evidence as to the treatment of the children at their Dad's.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much. There isn't anything pending with DCF or court. It's very important to find someone to assist my daughter and give her a voice.

What part of CT?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in Cromwell

Contact this organization for help or advice or a referral:

Center for Childrens Advocacy  

Non-profit organization in Hartford, Connecticut

Address:***** Hartford, CT 06105

Phone: (860)(###) ###-####/a>

Or try here:

http://www.clcct.org/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much. I'll give them a call for advice

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney