Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have the same question already asked... how do you ask for…

I have the same...

I have the same question already asked... how do you ask for a continuance in SC Family Court? I called and the only thing I got out of them was "a motion will go nowhere if there is not and order attached". The Order is the only document regarding a continuance I could find on their website they directed me to. Does this mean I just include a blank Order for Continuance in with the Motion I send so the judge can just sign it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Great thanks! I'm also looking for a sample Motion for Continuance form to use as a template.

Yes that's correct, you should include an Order granting the continuance along with your motion.

This is so the judge has something they can sign off on to actually grant your request.

You don't want to leave it entirely blank, you want to fill in the form with the appropriate dates you are requesting, then leave it blank where the judge signs.

Attach it to the back of your motion.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Not sure if you saw my follow up question since I was typing it as you were replying to my original question :)I'm also looking for a sample Motion for Continuance form to use as a template.

I don't have a sample Motion for Contuance that I can share with you, but I can point you in the right direction to some resources that would be helpful for you.

(1.) http://www.sccourts.org/forms/

(2.) http://www.sccourts.org/forms/searchTypeSort.cfm

(3.) http://www.sccourts.org/selfhelp/

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

I saw that website and that's where I got the Order for Continuance from. The courthouse itself was very unhelpful as to what is required. The lady supposedly in charge that just called me back (Nancy something) mentioned to send in copies because they would keep one of the original no matter what the judge decided and also a self-addressed stamped envelope so they could send the "verdict" back to me.So currently I'm just using a sample Motion that I found online from the state of Utah to follow. I'm hoping it's close enough? (changing the header stuff to how they do it in SC of course)https://www.washco.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/jc/pdf/sc/small-claims-motion-continue.pdf

Yes that should be fine, as long as you do what you mentioned -- change the headers with the apppropriate court and judge's information.

Hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Oh I do have one follow up question... on all these forms there is a date at the bottom left and a signature on the bottom right. Under the date (on the bottom left) is always "Greenville, SC". This is were the court is, but also where the opposing attorney is, so I'm not sure if this is supposed to be the city/state of the court or if it is the city/state where the person filing the motion lives. Should I put Greenville, SC there, or Kernersville, NC (where I live)?

It should be referring to where the court is.

Thanks again!

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Am I allowed to send you my completed Motion and Order and have you tell me if it looks good, needs to change, etc?

Yes, JustAnswer does offer a document review service.

The price for my review is $20/ page.

If you'd like to do that let me know, and I can send you the service offer to get us set up. Thanks!

Oh that's good to know. I'm pretty certain that this one was easy enough to get right, but I'll keep that in mind for future, more complex documents :)

Sounds good, take care!