Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My father is threating to keep medical information from us

My father is threating to keep medical information from us adult children on our mother. Both parents a biological parents to 5 adult children. Do we have rights?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. He has always been a controlling husband & father in small ways. Now my mother is sick and he has threated to keep all information from us.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that unless one of you is a guardian of your mom, you do not have any rights to her medical information. Only the person she authorizes to have that information or her power of attorney or guardian has rights legally to the information.

So if your father has rights to that information, he does not have to share it with his children, just like you as children do not have to share your medical information with your parents. There are no such legal rights.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.