Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My girlfriend is 16 and I am 19. I'm in CA, she's in

My girlfriend is 16...

My girlfriend is 16 and I am 19. I'm in CA, she's in Oklahoma. I've never made sexual remarks to her and neither did she. All we did was send kiss and hug emoticons to each other and send I love you, and I call her babe usually. That's all. Can I get it trouble for that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm an international student studying in CA. That's all.

3/8/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

There is absolutely nothing illegal about what you are doing. It is not illegal for a 19 year old to have a friendship with or date a 16 year old. And there's nothing wrong with writing to each other and expressing your feelings.

You seem to already know what you can't do via text, phone or email: you can't exchange sexually explicit videos or photos with her. You cant sext.

Stick to what you're doing, and you won't get into any trouble.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much.

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last question : I'm just worried about one thing. We talked about cuddling , not for long though. And once I said "can't wait to have you wake by my side", I realised that's quite dubious because I didn't mean it in a sexual way so I clarified it in the next message. But I was thinking, does that statement and joking about kisses etc. pose any threat? And I've already rated you 5 stars :) . Thank you so much for your help!!

Sorry for the delay. I left my computer to walk and feed my dogs.

Cuddling is not a sex offense. Affection between people who care for each other such as, holding hands, hugging, kissing and cuddling are not sex. You don't have anything to worry about.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer