Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I wanted check my DNA as im adopted. However i remembered…

I wanted check my...

I wanted check my DNA as im adopted. However i remembered receiving a letter a former girl friend after returning from my time in the Army in Utah. She stated she was pregnant. She was i Utah and I was now in PA. An attorney friend recommended. Don't reply. I never did. Yes i did have sex with the girl. If she were to find a DNA match on line as a result of my findings. Can she sue me for back child support.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She was in Utah at the time. I also did see her in a visit to California when I lived there right after I got out of the Army

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No never, never heard anything after the letter

This was in 1969 when i received the letter
3/8/2018
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

If you're planning to get your DNA testing with 23&me, their results are sent confidentially, although on-line. Would you want to double-check with your DNA testing organization to see what their confidentiality policies are?

If there's been no finding of paternity and adjudication of what the child support amount would be, you're unlikely to liable for any arrearages.

You might want to consider hiring an attorney to contact Utah Child Support Enforcement Agency to ask if there's a case under your name. This should be cheap and simple, as it would entail a couple of phone calls or a letter.

Because paternity cases are confidential, it's not possible to go on-line, as in divorce cases, to find out what's been filed in a case.

Does that seem like a sensible plan of action?

Sue

Sue
I only received a letter stating she was pregnant and nothing else. The letter requested money to help her. None of my family know about this. I have kept a secret. My parents continued to live at this address for many years and never received additional letters. I ordered the kit from My Heritage DNA. My Son his wife have submitted there DNA with this same company. They receive email from other people in the My Heritage system who are a close match. I'll contact a local attorney to check with Utah.
Chuck

Hi, Chuck.

If all the notice you got was a letter from the mother, it is very unlikely there was a Judgment of Paternity. You can go ahead with my suggestion to hire an attorney to contact Utah's CSEA, but since the letter was not from the Court or CSEA, it's even more unlikely than I thought at first.

If the child completed a kit from My Heritage, you may be worrying the child may email you. I'm not sure there's a legal remedy to that problem.

Sue

i have been reading about this issue of fathers found with these tests. It does rase issues for familes. (spell check is not working). I want to find my birth mothers family and in so doing may risk be found to be a farther to a child myself. Its a risk i willing to take.
Chuck

Chuck, it's amazing we have this medical technology so available these days.

I wish you all the best in finding your birth mother's family.

Would you let me know if there's anything else I can help you with?

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please do let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney