Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My almost 12 year old stepdaughter has a serious lying

problem, from small lies to...
My almost 12 year old stepdaughter has a serious lying problem, from small lies to big lies. Examples, she can say her 7 year old sister gave her one of her perfumes because she didn’t want it anymore (small lie), to fabricating not eating her lunch at school because her friend stole it from her, (after lying like 4x on this lie until I squeezed the truth out of her and threatened her I was going to call the school cafeteria, she finally admired she actually did in fact ate her lunch). My stepdaughter lies and lies about everything, I’ve have taken tv previlages away, sent her to sleep earlier, assigned more chores, took allowance away, gave her books to read, but she doesn’t stop the lies. I’ve been told by several people she does it for attention. I’ve asked her several times why she lies and she stays quiet. She’s also doing well in school only because I stay on top of her grades but I feel like I shouldn’t have to do this every day and every week. My husband which is her dad, is too soft on her and I do feel she takes advantage of this. My husband and I talked about enrolling her in military school and for several reasons we haven’t gone to a therapist to see if that will help. There’s more to her lies and because of her behavior my husband and I have distance ourselves some from her as she has a big lying problem, but her lies have always been there and I’ve been married for 3 years to her father. My husband has been hurt due to her lies, I’m also disappointed and frustrated with her behavior. She encourages those feelings. We both have given her many chances to change and prove us wrong but she keeps lying. We don’t know what else to do with her. I do feel like she always wants attention which I’ve asked her before and she denies. We don’t know what else to do. Any suggestions??
3/8/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Unfortunately you can't FORCE a 12 year old girl to stop lying... you can't force *anyone* to stop lying.

You just have to be there for her as a parent (or, as a step-parent).

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

No, thank you

If you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Thank you for your rating! And if you need anything in the future and you want to reach me directly you can do so by clicking HERE
or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.

Thank you

My pleasure :)