Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My fiance and i have been together almost 11 years. The last…

My fiance and i...

My fiance and i have been together almost 11 years. The last 6 years i have been a stay at home mom of our now, 3 children ages 6 and under. I have always been in charge of paying bills and the finances. It has always been our money even though i dont work, my job is here at the house. Its always been a joint account regardless of my name not being on it. I used our account to make a few online purchases for children's clothing, accessories, household goods. Total purchases totaled under $400. My fiance looked at statement and is stating that i did not have permission to make these purchases and that he is filing a report for fraud against me. Can he do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He claims he called today

3/8/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help today - How long have you and your fiancé been together? How long have you been using the joint account?

Almost 11 years and Ive used the account the entire time we've been together
The account used to be in both of our names up until the time when i left my job and no longer had my paychecks being deposited.

Okay - thank you for the information. To answer your question directly, he can file a report purporting fraud, but there will never be charges brought against you. The fact that this account has been being used by you for 11 years and at one point you were depositing money directly into it, will preclude you from having any criminal charges brought against you.

I am happy to help you today - can you please rate me with 5 stars if I have answered your question.

He switched accounts though..when i stopped working he closed that account and opened a new one.
I've had full charge of finances.

That is okay - you have had access and been using that account without issue.

he cant pursue it?

He can try to pursue it, but it will not go anywhere. It seems very odd that he would even try.

Because he claims he filed a report with police. The police he contacted is the city where he established the account not the city we live in
Its control tactics. Scare tactics. He is a fireman and knows alot of people within the police department.

Even that is odd - like I said, the law is completely on your side, I would be surprised if the detective would even question you.

No matter what i used the account to make purchases for though? Ive ordered other things in the past that he may add to the report trying to fluff it.

As long as the purchases can be related to you, your family, or a business I see no problem.

In the instance they do contact me, do i just relay everything i have discussed with you? Im worried due him knowing how to talk to these people. Personally I've never had much interaction with police and the times i have i have put my foot in my mouth and not defended myself. He has accused me of domestic violence twice in the past after he was the one to actually hurt me. I never touched him. I just got upset and scared talking to the police and since he was calm they took his word over mine.

Yes, you need to tell them everything that we have discussed and you will be okay. Do not worry or get stressed, you have done nothing wrong and have the law on your side.

Thank you very much. That is reassuring.

can you please rate me with 5 stars - I am happy to help you

DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer