Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question regarding my divorce. My wife and I have…

Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a question regarding my divorce. My wife and I have been going through one for 2 years now. This whole time I�ve been continuing to pay her car insurance be I thought in CA there are automatic restraining orders that prevent me from stopping.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I just realized that her car insurance is with a separate company and solely on her name. I�ve just been paying as a kindness. Can I stop paying? It�s in CA and it�s a lease on a 2015 Jeep

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

For the car? She got into an accident last year

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any thoughts on this?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/9/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Your Questions:

[Second opinion] I have a question regarding my divorce. My wife and I have been going through one for 2 years now. This whole time I�ve been continuing to pay her car insurance be I thought in CA there are automatic restraining orders that prevent me from stopping.

Response 1: No, the Automatic Temporary Protective and Restraining Orders do not force you to continue to make the payments. See California Family Code Section 2040.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I just realized that her car insurance is with a separate company and solely on her name. I�ve just been paying as a kindness. Can I stop paying?

Response 2: Yes, you can stop paying it. However, she can file Motion with the Court to ask you to continue to pay it as part of spousal support if she is unable to make the payments without your assistance.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law