Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is there a way to call? I'm in South Carolina but my ex is…

Is there a way...

Is there a way to call?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I'm in South Carolina but my ex is in New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Basically the web forms asked if I want the court to order child support.....I clicked No...My ex already receives 1600 a month in SSI payments and a voluntary 300 a month from me her income with no job is higher than mine

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She also has a boyfriend who makes 50k a year, she pays no rent, car is paid off, while I've been stuck bouncing from family member to family member. My income was 12k last year
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

1) Is she your ex-wife, or about to be an ex-wife, or ex-girlfriend, etc?

2) What are you filling out, exactly?

3) What exactly are you asking here?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are separated, have 4 kids, 2 are disabled.. She receives the 1600 a month in SSI, plus a voluntary 300 a month from me. I want to know how paperwork for divorce can be submitted to reflect this information

I understand.

First of all know that the phone call is an additional charge. Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.) But understand that your payment seems to have failed. Contact JustAnswer's customer service to fix that, and then the phone call can go through via the system.

Meanwhile we can chat online. First of all, are both of you in agreement to what you want/will get in the divorce? Or, not?

Okay. Understand that there are many versions of the forms you are filling out. All of them based on the requirements the Court needs. Some forms are very narrow and allow very limited flexibility; some allow more modification.

If you are using forms from some pay site, you may be better off using the ones below - which are free and from the court's site:

https://www.nycourts.gov/divorce/forms.shtml

And all you have to do is write in what you and her agree to. You do not have to put WHY. The Court will normally agree to whatever the parties sign off on together.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I'm in SC, she is in N.Y.

Which state are you filing in? NY or SC?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I file in NY is there a residential time limit requirement?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am going to be moving there soon to ne close to my kids

Yes. One of the parties has to have lived in NY a year prior to filing for divorce.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has been there since July of 16

Oh you mean July of 2016? Then yes NY has jurisdiction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I said July of "16" not 17

I know - I corrected myself immediately:

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I'm in SC I file from what address? Hers?

No, you file from yours. Simply in the petition, one states that the court has jurisdiction because RESPONDENT lives in NY.

It should be one of the options while filling out the form.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok in the link you sent then?

Yes, correct.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks..

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer with five stars and then click SEND to submit that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the SEND button to keep on chatting. "I strive for FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law