Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son is incarcerated and will be released in May. his

My son is incarcerated...

My son is incarcerated and will be released in May. his children's mom may be deported back to the Caribbean. Can she legally take the children being that they are citizens, without his permission.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I have not but she has

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

3/7/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unless there is a court order, if they have passports she can take them, but his permission would be required. If there is a court order giving her custody, then she can take them as long as they have passports. If she is going to try to take them, you as grandparent can use a local attorney to file in court to stop her from removing the children and seek temporary guardianship and custody based on her being unfit in that she cannot remain in the US and they are US Citizens.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.