Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If a parent contacts the grandparents in a panic because…

Customer Question
If a parent contacts...

If a parent contacts the grandparents in a panic because they have discovered inappropriate sexual behavior between 11 yr old son and 5 yr old daughter.....but fails to report it.....are grandparents legally reguired to do so?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Having a difficult time finding a lawyer to speak with us....telling us to find a lawyer in area where child lives and for us to report it to cps.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We live in the Austin area of Texas....Grandson lives in Dallas/Ft Worth area....we'll be picking up grandson in couple of days to keep over spring break.....want very much to help with situation and trying to get information regarding our personal legal obligations, etc.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/7/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unless the grandparent is a teacher, nurse, law enforcement, or public safety official, they are not mandatory reporters. So, the grandparent is not mandated by law to report the issue. If the grandparent is in one of those occupations, then they must report or they could face sanctions for not doing so. If there is sexual misconduct, then CPS should be notified to make sure not just that the 5 year old is safe, but also that the 11 year old gets the mental health counseling he requires as well. CPS has to be contacted in the DFW area if you are going to report.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.