Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Me and my wife want to become parents but I have a 24 year…

Customer Question
Me and my wife...

Me and my wife want to become foster parents but I have a 24 year old felony for possession with intent to sell and my question is can I still become a foster parent

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

The state of Nevada Las Vegas Nevada and I was 21 years old and made a stupid decision to hold some drugs for a friend of mine and the police came to my house I believe I was set up and they charged me with the crime in Los Angeles California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes we live in Las Vegas Nevada and have lived here for 22 years now and this is where we want to become foster parents at

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/7/2018
Family Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is Wendy. I have been an attorney for about 20 years, including work in the child welfare system in my state. I would be happy to help you. I am currently working on a response to your question and will provide it shortly.

It appears that the Nevada application to become foster parents will ask whether either you or your wife has been arrested or convicted of any law enforcement violation or offense. I assume from the way you phrased your question that your possession charge did result in a conviction/guilty plea and was not simply an arrest, though either would have to be reported on the foster parent application. The foster parent review process will include a full background check, which would have to be approved by your county's foster care services office. In addition, the review of your application will include confirmation that you and your wife would provide a drug free home. This could include a request for drug testing of both or either of you. Given the incident you mention was so long ago, if you passed a drug screen and otherwise have a stable home in which to foster children in need, it is unlikely the old drug charge would automatically prevent you both from becoming foster parents. That said, every county and every state is different and, in fact, often the person to whom your file is assigned may have certain issues they feel most strongly about and are more apt to look for in terms of pros and cons about the foster family. There is no way to know without going through the application process if you would be approved, but every state is always in need of loving and suitable foster families and homes and I would expect that your application would at least be considered, especially if everything else is in order.

If you need more help, please reply to this email. If I have answered your question and given you excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This is general information for informational and educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed as a result of or within this conversation.

Happy Friday! I just wanted to check in to make sure I answered your question and to see if you need any further assistance with this issue.