Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

While my husband was married to his first wife of 20 years…

Customer Question
While my husband was...

While my husband was married to his first wife of 20 years and he was in active duty, they divorced. They lived in Calif. but she got a quick divorce in Nevada. The divorce papers said that they would divide his retirement. they had an 18yr old daughter and an 17 year old. His wife married the person she divorced him for and the the daughters were adopted by him and they took his last name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I married him and we have been married for 23 years and live in Neavda' He is now dying with Alzhiemers Disease and other complications. I am his caregivier and the Va is paying me to care for him. I am a nurse, this is keeping him out of the hospital. Now his daughters want his retirement that their mother did not get while she was alive. What can I expect in this situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They sent me some unclear papers to their wanted guardianship of him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

One daughter has harassed me with phone calls-on day 40 and another day 158 calls in on hour. I filled a Protective order and a police report with Las Vegas Metro

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/7/2018
Family Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

It sounds like the daughters were adopted out. Do you know whether your husband gave up parental rights? In other words, when someone is adopted they are no longer heirs of the birth parent who gave up the rights.