Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Trying to find out how to handle a 16 almost 17 year old who…

Trying to find out...

Trying to find out how to handle a 16 almost 17 year old who wants to stay with friend's family because they don't want to change schools. We live in NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

This conversation just happened last night

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband and I are filing divorce papers on April 2nd. We have joint custody. Ex and son fight constantly, I'm in the process of moving. I agreed to let him stay with the friend for 2 weeks so I didn't have to change his school then change it two weeks later.

3/7/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can give them POA here if you want to allow him to live with them

POWER OF ATTORNEY

FOR

CARE AND CUSTODY OF MINOR CHILD(REN)

1.

I am the parent ______ g

uardian_____

(check one)

of the minor child(ren) or protected

person:

________________________ whose date of birth is

______________________ (DOB)

______________________

(DOB)

2.

My address is

__________________________________(street address),

__________________________________(city, state and zip code)

I app

oint the following person as my attorne

y-in-fact for the minor child

(ren)

/protected

person

named above in paragraph 1

:

Name

________________________________________

Address

City, State, Zip Code

a.

To participate in decisions regarding the child(ren)’s education including attending

conferences with the teachers or any other educational authorities, granting permission

for the child(ren)’s participation in school trips and other activities, and making

any

other decisions and executing any documents with respect to the child(ren)’s education.

b.

To grant consent for the child(ren) to participate in any activity which the attorney

-in-

fact feels appropriate

c.

To make health care decisions on behalf of the child(ren), including decisions about

medical,

dental, optometric, or

mental health

care, whether routine or emergency in

nature, including admissions to hospitals or other institutions. To refuse

, consent

or

withdraw consent for any care, tests, treatment,

and surgery

procedure to diagnose or

treat

physical or mental conditions

. To examine the child(ren)’s medical records and to

consent to the disclosure of those records where the attorney

-in-fact thinks it’s

appropriate.

d.

To generally act and execute all other documents which may be necessary or proper to

see to the needs of the child(ren).

e.

EXCLUDED SPECIFICALLY FROM THE AUTHORITY AND POWERS GRANTED TO THE

ATTORNEY-

IN-FACT

:

-

Power or authority to consent to the marriage or adoption of the chid(ren)

-

____________________________________________

-

___________________________________________

-

The powers granted to the attorney

-in-fact shall be in effect until __________________,

20____ (not to exceed six months) or until such time as the undersigned revokes this

document

and the powers of the attorney

-in-fact

in writing

.

Dated this __________ day of _______________________, 20_____.

_________________________ (sign here)

_________________________ (ty

pe or print name)

_________________________ (address)

_________________________ (city, state, zip code)

Signed and sworn to before me this ______ day of ___________________, 20_____

In _________________(city), _____________________ (county) _________________ (state)

.

______________________________

Notary Public

This would allow them to enroll him and take to doctor, etc.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I use the POA, I won't need to worry about Child Protective Services or the law coming after me?

No , since the child is almost grown this would deal with this.You can revoke it if it doesn't work out for some reason.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** better now and might consider allowing this. He doesn't want to change schools and I'm afraid if I make him he will quit school and run away.
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

i think this will work here, good luck and thanks

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer