Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My family and I just found out that my 16yr. old brother has…

My family and I...

My family and I just found out that my 16yr. old brother has been raping my 12yr. old sister since she was 9. Family services know about it and I'm afraid they'll take her away. I want to become her legal guardian before that happens, but I have no clue how to do that quickly. I just want some advice on how to protect her. My parents have no clue what to do either.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Louisiana!

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Social services know because my parents contacted LSU's psychological services center to get both of them counseling. They said they had to report it. A detective with social services has been calling my parents to get a statement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is another little girl who's 12, who's said my brother has touched and raped her too

3/7/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

My name is ***** ***** I am very sorry to hear about this situation - How old are you? You are a biological sibling? Do your parents want to give up their rights? Has your brother been charged with a crime?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am 24 and in law school. I am also her half-sister, we share the same mother. My parents are willing to do anything to make sure she isn't put in foster care. And so far, social services know of the situation, but no one has come to speak with my parents or him about what happened.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the quick response and condolences

Okay - thank you for the response. I do not think it is in your sisters best interest for you to become her guardian as you are in school and it might not be in both of your best interests for her to be with you full time. The court system will have a victim assistance counselor assigned to the case to help your sister through this very difficult time. They will be able to point your family in the correct direction in terms of counselors, therapists, and how to best work with social services. Your parents should fully cooperate with social services and they will institute whats called a "safety plan". That plan will be put in place to protect your sister and it will contain a provision that states she can not be around her brother - obviously. As long as your family cooperates it is a very remote possibility that your sister will be removed from your household. It sounds like the police are still investigating and that is the reason no one has come to talk to your family yet.

I believe that I have answered your question and given you an idea of what to expect - can you please rate me with 5 stars.

DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer
DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer