Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

2 detectives when to my place in California yesterday,

looking for me but I’m...
2 detectives when to my place in California yesterday, looking for me but I’m in Colorado. They were looking for my ex to but they couldn’t find her ether, how do I know if this is gonna be any issue
3/7/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Do you have any idea of what this is in reference to?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My gf was mad at me because I left and toke my car away so she called the cops and make up a story

Thank you.

You should not speak to the police about this at all, because when you are the suspect of a crime, anything you say can be used against you, even statements that you think might be helpful.

California police have no jurisdiction in Colorado. If California wants you, they would have to get Colorado officers to serve you with a subpoena and try to get you to come to court. This may, however, happen and you can be facing criminal charges. If you want to know more about this, you could contact a local lawyer who could reach out to the police and find out whether there's a warrant out for your arrest and who could help you make a voluntary surrender on that warrant if you're inclined to. Or, you could wait until you are actually summoned and then retain a California lawyer. This may go nowhere if they cannot find your ex either.

But what you shouldn't do is to contact the detectives who are looking for you. YOu have no obligation to speak to them without a lawyer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can she take out the charges ?

Do you mean can she drop the charges? She can talk to the police and the DA and try. But now that the state is involved, it's the state's case. All criminal cases are prosecuted in the name of the state, so the case doesn't belong to the victim anymore. She may be able to convince the DA not to go forward, but the DA does not have to listen to her.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it a way to see if I have a warrant on me online?

If it's an arrest warrant, no. That's not public information. The only ones who would know would be the police, who would likely just tell you to come in and discuss it. Leave things alone or have a lawyer call.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I leave things alone, how do I know I have a problem?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or how do I know, that nothing’s is gonna happen?

You already know you have a problem. If you need to know anything more now, have a lawyer call. Otherwise, I assure you, you'll be the first to know. You'll get a summons or a call if they file a case with the court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My gf got some letters from
The police department, does this mean that Is a court going on or something?

If she's the complainant, the prosecutor may want to talk to her about the case before filing charges. But I'm just guessing. I can't possibly tell you what the letter would say without seeing it. If the case were filed, however, the letter would typically come from the prosecutor and not the police.

I have to leave here for a doctor's appointment and will not be online for about an hour or two. If you have another followup about this, leave it for me and I'll type you a response as soon as I get back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not sure if they can talk to her as I cancel her phone line so I don’t think they have a way to talk to her or they may have her old number which is cancel

That’s good. If they can’t reach her, they can’t be ready to go forward with a case. If they never find her the case would have to be dismissed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long it takes for the case to be dismissed

That can vary. You don't know if it's even been filed, so right now there may be nothing to dismiss.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer