Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 17 year old son is refusing to visit his father at his…

My 17 year old son...
My 17 year old son is refusing to visit his father at his new home because he does not want to be forced to meet his father's "New family." He is happy to see his Dad without them but knows that his Dad cheated with this woman. My son's therapist has talked to his father about not pushing the other woman on him because it is detrimental to his mental health and their relationship.
Now my ex is threatening me with contempt even though I have never done anything to prevent my son from visiting and have, in fact, in the past changed my own plans to accommodate last minute dinner visitation requests.
My son is fully aware of the parenting plan details but refuses to go to any visit that involves people other than his Dad and now that his Dad has bought a home with his girlfriend that rules out overnight visits.
What is the likelihood of me being held in contempt.
3/7/2018
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that your ex and your son are having this impasse. I know how difficult this is for you.

Whether the Court will impose a contempt on you id difficult to say. This is because the individuak judges have so much discretion. BUT in most situations it is not something the court's liek to do. The Judge is more likely to chastise your son and threaten contempt at the first hearing over this.

BUT there are somethings that you can do now to forestall this confrontation.

1) File a Motion to modify the custody and visitation Order.

2) See if you can convince your son's therapist to write a report or affidavit supporting your son in this issue.

3) Try to make sure that things move slowly throough the court system. File motions for continuance.

Your goal is to get your son to age 18. At 18 he is an adult and can make his own decisions.

You may want to have a family law attorney assist you with this. See:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/family-law/colorado

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer