Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am going through a divorce, my husband has an attorney but…

Customer Question
I am going through...

I am going through a divorce, my husband has an attorney but I don't have the funds for one so I'm filing ex parte. We were married 21 yrs.he is a business owner of a very profitable co.and doesn't think I'm entitled to anything. We have a MSC on 3/22 Since I don't have $ for an attorney nor do I have the funds for a forensic accountant...My question is...can the judge or mediator that will sit in on the MSC order a forensic accountant?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes..I'm sorry..Sacramento Ca.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes...the divorce was filed 4yrs. ago 3/14...after I filed an emergency restraining order for domestic violence.The order was granted and in June we went to court in which the judge ordered the "pos" to pay spousal support .

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ok..he was convicted of perjury in 1989..has been arrested 3 times for "soliciting prostitutes" had given me gonnerhea twice and has been controlling, abusive,manipulative, has spit in mine and daughters face,I wasn't on any bank acct.credit cards and had NO say so when money was involved. Yes, I know...I was an idiot!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 9 days by:
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

The judge here would order an appraisal of the valuation of the business.They likely don't hire a forensic accountant but you can ask here.See what you can get the judge to do .Likely you would have to split the cost of anyone hired in the matter.You can ask to order him but the court here in California has the final say.

On your part you need to have some idea of what you think its worth.I am assuming you filed some discovery here to look at prior tax returns and bank accounts.It is critical in my mind to already have some number in your mind for your share and tell the expert or mediator what that is since you are self-represented and the judge may ask you if you can afford to pay half here.

Those are my thoughts about preparing for this.Set your number high knowing there will likely be a counter.If they won't come to a reasonable amount press for a sale of the business.That usually gets the ex to come up if he wants it here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.You have great facts here lingering in the background.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.