Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We have been caring for a child for over a year now. Hos…

Customer Question
We have been caring...

We have been caring for a child for over a year now. Hos father left him at our house one day with a trash bag full of clothes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

His mother did live with us at the time.. but she moved out, took her daughter, and left him with us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We are not blood relatives. We were just friends of his mother's, trying to help her since she's a single mom.. No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know where to start

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm trying to find out how to get non parental custody or guardianship of a boy whose basically been abandoned by his parents. Please help, in Colorado
3/7/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

If you were seeking custody of the child you would need to file a motion with the family court. People aren't permitted to just hand off their children to someone else without some formal legal relationship in place (even if it's just a Guardianship form, which generally doesn't have to go through the courts).

http://www.acsedu.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Temporary-Guardianship-Agreement-11.pdf is a link to a sample guardianship form you can use if the parents are willing to sign it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What if I dont know where is father is? I can get in touch wirh his mom, but his dad has gone completely ghost on us

Then you could have mom give you guardianship paperwork.

It's not "permanent" of course, since dad could come back and say he wants the child in the future.

Essentially, unless a parent's rights are terminated, the parent still has rights to that child.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney