Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We just received the temporary order to shared custody with…

We just received the temporary...
We just received the temporary order to shared custody with “2,2,3” schedule for our seven month old daughter and I am still breastfeeding her. Plus I have to pay the dad $320/w for child support since he makes much less than me. He owns a 1600sf house and the child has her own room there, but I only have a 800sf condo and I have to share the room with my daughter now. I have been working hard to develop my career and has been the main caregiver of our daughter also paying all her expenses: furniture, food, diapers, medical expenses, daycares... because of the child support now, it would be really hard for me to change the current living conditions for my daughter. Is there a way to pursuade the judge to change the temporary order? Thanks!
3/7/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you! You may file a Motion for Modification of Temporary Order. In the motion you want to outline all of your expenses for the child that you pay out of pocket. There will be a hearing on the motion and you will have the ability to explain to the judge the economic situation and to modify the child support order. Bring any receipts or proof of expenses you have as proof to show the judge.

Will the extra need to be for the child? I recently change my job, even the salary didn’t change, I have to commuter rail to work now which costs more. Would that be considered? Thanks!

Yes, any additional expenses you are now incurring will be considered by the court when deciding whether to modify the order. The extra need is really any expense you pay out of pocket. You want to show the court as much expenses as possible to try and have the payments lowered.

Jessica B