Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I’m going through a DV and divorce cases and have temporary…

Customer Question
I’m going through a...

I’m going through a DV and divorce cases and have temporary restraining orders. I’ve discovered new evidence and need to push my trial date back. I would like to know what type of continuance from to request?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I’m in California and Sonoma County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. Rule 3.1332(c) of the California Rules of Court (the primary authority in the state courts) allows the court to grant a continuance before or during trial on an affirmative showing of good cause. Good cause means anything that the court could reasonably conclude would be a good enough reason to push out the date of your trial.

One of the best resources that I have found is through the Sacramento Law Library. They have a step-by-step PDF to help you figure out how to draft up a motion, what to put, and other bits of information that are extremely helpful. If you click here, you can print it off and get started right away.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer