Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can a 12 year old kid be charged with a felony? If so, does…

Can a 12 year old...
Can a 12 year old kid be charged with a felony? If so, does it drop off when he/she turns 18?
3/6/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. In what US state? What was the nature of the felony charge? Did the case proceed? If so, did it do so in adult or juvenile court?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
California, domestic threat over texting, got 6 months probation, was in juvenile court

Thank you.

If it was a juvenile matter, then it would be an adjudication rather than a conviction. A juvenile adjudication can be expunged after 5 years if there are no further problems with the system or after the juvenile becomes 18.

This would not happen automatically. It wil require a petition to the court and notification to the DA who could oppose it.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer