Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son has visitation rights every other weekend which

Customer Question
My son has visitation...

My son has visitation rights every other weekend which should be his time to spend with the children. My work schedule does not always adhere to the same. So when I ask the mother If I can have them a different day so I can take them Disneyland she said NO I can only see them on the days my son has them. He only gets them every other weekend and she id trying to limit his time to only one day now. Which is really HARD!! What can I do to spend more time on other days If any

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I called one the retainer was $3500 ANd I cant afford that

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/6/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My question Is My son has visitation rights every other weekend and The mother is trying to take that away. I wanted to take my grandkids to Disneyland on A day that was not my sons. And the mother said NO I can only take them when my son has them. My schedule does not always work on the days he has them .Is there any thing I can do to If I give her enough notice on the Day I wish to have them?

Thanks so much for your patience on this. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, the downside is that grandparents do not have rights to see the children or otherwise have any visitation with the children at all. Only the parents are allowed to make the decisions regarding whether to see the children. As a parent myself, I can only imagine what you're dealing with.

The only way that you could officially have any rights over the children is if you go to court and request to be their guardian. The court will grant it, but usually only if you can prove that one or both of the parents is not acting in the best interests of the children. It's a tough sell in most cases, even here in CA.

One little known, but very effective tool that lawyers use when there isn’t a law that they can rely on to support their position is called principled negotiation. All this means is that you are looking to get something done on the basis of principles, even if you can’t find a law to support you. It takes the anxiety out of dealing with the other side because you’re focused on the facts, not each other.

Here are some simple steps you can follow:

1. Figure out what the other side’s interests are (saving money, saving time, etc.?);

2. Think about what your interests are (saving money, saving time, etc.?);

3. Come up with 2 to 3 reasonable and objective ways to solve the problem;

4. Present it to the other side;

5. If the other side rejects, ask them, “Is there a reason why you do not feel it is necessary to negotiate?”

Of course, these are just building blocks to get the other party to help solve the dispute. Believe me when I say that good lawyers use this technique all the time to keep things out of court. You’ll find that it is very effective even with the most stubborn of individuals.

So, you could explain to the mother that the kids like Disneyland and if you can assure that they will be safe and happy, you'd love to be able to take them. If mom has an interest in ensuring that the kids are where they are supposed to be, then you could perhaps send her a photo every few hours to let her know that they're okay. It really depends.

I'm very sorry. How else can I help you today?

Ely, Counselor at Law