Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Am I allowed to notify the petitioner in my divorce case…

Am I allowed to notify...
Am I allowed to notify the petitioner in my divorce case here in CA that she should be receiving the papers in the mail, as she may not be at home today following the papers I overnighted to her yesterday? Or do I just let it take its course? Being from another country, she may not know the procedure on how to go to the post office to get her packet I sent if she is not at home this afternoon to sign for it.
3/6/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. There is nothing wrong with contacting her and advising her of the same unless there is a no-contact order in place. If this is not going to be contested and she is cooperating, you can speak with her and let her know you sent these, so she is on notice and can receive them and sign them and do what is needed, to advance the case.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would the no-contact order have been in the section of her FL-100 where the restraining order stuff would be located?
If there was a no contact or restraining order in place you would know and be served with it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is for socrateaser only, the expert lawyer I have chosen for my account. Am I allowed to notify the petitioner in my divorce case here in CA that she should be receiving the papers in the mail, as she may not be at home today following the papers I overnighted to her yesterday? Or do I just let it take its course? Being from another country, she may not know the procedure on how to go to the post office to get her packet I sent if she is not at home this afternoon to sign for it.
socrateaser, Lawyer

If you mailed the paperwork in accordance with the requirements of law (9 court days before the hearing date) and a copy of the FL-335 accompanied your mailing, then you have done all that's required, even if the paperwork never reaches the other party.

Hope this helps and thanks for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was told once the paperwork was mailed out I had five days to return the FL-335 to the court. I will just call them tomorrow to clarify the right procedure.

You were told by whom?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Someone in Fresno family court support area told me that.

There's no such rule. As long as the proof of service is filed with the court before the hearing, it's legal. But, if the clerk wants it sooner, then comply, because you don't want to piss off the clerks. They're the gateway to getting your case filed.

Hope this helps, and thanks for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
filivit meNd dropping ng if off t the courthouse, not mIling it, correct?

You must be using your phone. I have no idea what you just wrote.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
filing it by going to the courthouse is the better way tan mailing it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yup it's my cell phone.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will do it right away in the morning when they open.

The standard method is to include an unsigned copy with the documents mailed to the other party and a signed copy filed with the court at the same time as the other paperwork is filed. If you didn't do that, then file the proof of service with the court as soon as possible.

Hope this helps and thanks for using Justanswer.

socrateaser, Lawyer
socrateaser, Lawyer