Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I would like to know how you can figure a approx estimate of…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to know how you can figure a approx estimate of child support on one child. We are trying to come to a agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas, Beaumont

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really. Do you need to know his salary and my salary

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/6/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. Do you need to know either parents salaries?

Good afternoon,

The majority of Texans who are obligated to make child support payments, pay an amount based on their net income. The following guidelines outline the percentage of net income the paying party must pay per child:

• 20% of the paying party’s net income if only 1 child,
  • 25% of the paying party’s net income if 2 children,
  • 30% of the paying party’s net income if 3 children,
  • 35% of the paying party’s net income if 4 children,
  • 40% of the paying party’s net income if 5 children,
  • Not less than 40% of the paying party’s net income if 6 or more children.

In Texas, the monthly net income figure that is used to determine monthly child support payments has a presumed cap. The maximum amount of net income from which child support can be calculated is $8550 per month. If the paying party’s net income is more than $8,550 per month, the amount of child support is based only on the first $8,550. The court may order the paying party to pay additional support if it is determined that the child needs additional support.

The Texas Attorney General website actually has a child support calculator here that you can use (it's pretty self-explanatory) but if you have trouble figuring it out, I can help you. You need incomes for both parents, plus any deductions (things like any court ordered medical, or other child support orders).

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer