Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am 27 and a mother of a 7 year old boy name Jacob. At the…

Customer Question
Hello,My name is***** am...

Hello,My name is***** am 27 and a mother of a 7 year old boy name Jacob. At the time that i was pregnant, Jacob’s father was in and out of jail for miscellaneous things and was sent to prison for 20-40 years a little after Jacob turned 1. His grandparents offered to help me in anyway that they could, which they did/do. They paid for his childcare while i went to work and school and they also watched him when childcare was t available. When Jacob was old enough to go to school, we (grandparents and i) came to the agreement that Jacob should go to school in the area that they lived in due to educational reasons and safety reasons. I agreed and his grandparents paid the tuition for him to attend school there in West Bloomfield. We realized that in order to waive the tuition, if Jacob was a legal resident of West Bloomfield he could go for free. We went to court together to file for a partial guardianship so that he could go to school there and they offered to handle any other things that he may need in the process. Jacob started kindergarten there and continued to this present day. I’ve always felt that with this partial custody, i don’t have very much say so I’m what goes on with him. He’s in karate and jujitsu, he takes swimming classes, speech classes, and therapy. They pay for all of the expenses. I feel like the benefit him tremendously but i don’t feel like I’m not allowed to be his mother. With his schedule and my work schedule, i can only get him on the weekend when he’s free and I’m off work. When i sit down and have conversation with his grandparents they tell me that it’s not about me, them or his father. It’s just about Jacob. I agree but i want to be with my child more than just the weekend. What can i do about this situation? Should i leave it as is or should i take her to court and potentially mess up my relationship with his grandparents and rip him away from his relationship with his grandparents? What can i do legally or is there anything that i could do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have a partial custody agreement

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/6/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Honestly I would consider leaving it the way it is.You may sacrifice some time here but the child has such a great opportunity here for a bette4r school and activities you could not provide.

I can see it is frustrating to have these people in your life but this is a tremendous burden off of you as far as costs.I think that your sacrifice here is worth it for the best interests of the child.

And I am going to be honest here.If you filed for custody, they likely would challenge and prevail.I would not rock this boat here, I fear you cannot prevail.This is the best you can do and the child really benefits.

Enjoy the weekends you get here.I have many clients that don't get that and would kill for even a day.Really I think you are stuck here.You could spend a lot on a lawyer and loose what you have.Please don't shoot the messenger.I think that you need to let this continue here and make the best of it.

I appreciate the chance to help you .Prayers to you.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer