Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am currently living in GA. I lost my job on May 1 and I…

I am currently living...

I am currently living in GA. I lost my job on May 1 and I went to court today on child support increase. My current child support was 198.00 a month. In 2012, I owed 8,000 in the arrears. However, they are saying I owe 27,000 today. When I got out of jail, I paid something every month without missing a payment and when I started working I paid the full amount electronically. My daughter's mother took me back to court three years ago and I have been in and out of court. My daughter will be 18 years old in April. I made 2700 a month. However, I don't work there any longer. I had the option quit or get fired. I choose to quit so it would not look bad on my record. The judge made an order for me to pay 505.00 a month for two months and then pay 500.00 in the arrears until it is completely paid off. I have documentation disputing the arrears amount. I am not sure what I need to do next. In addition, I am not working and I cannot afford to pay 500.00 a month for two months in the remaining child support. Not sure of my rights and do I have any rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Atlanta GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I went to court today and I told them I was not in agreement with the judge and they did not consider the child support I am currently paying for my other son who is eighteen but still in school in NC.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have all my documentation from the first time we went to court and all my receipts of payment. The arrears is not right and they told me it had to be an error in the amount but I went to jail for the amount of 8,000 in 2012, If I paid nothing for the last five years my balance still would not be 27,000

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok I think I need an attorney

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/6/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, when it comes to child support you have no realistic rights if you have not paid the support as determined by the court. You can go to court and file a motion to reduce arrears or to waive arrears and you also can ask the court to modify your support based on your significant change in financial circumstances, that is the best you can hope for, to go to court to have the payments reduced and to seek to modify your arrears.

You have to file in court and if you cannot afford an attorney, you need to go to legal aid for assistance or call the state bar for help, because the court can eventually put you in jail for not paying and you still will have to pay if she keeps pushing the matter.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer