Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am filing for separation in california I moved and took my…

Hello I am filing...

Hello I am filing for separation in california I moved and took my belongs and technically we don't have any property to separate. do I still need to list everything we bought we were married?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not at this time he tried to kill me and I fled the state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2018
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

No. You do not have to give an inventory. California is a Community Property State. Which means (generally) that property acquired during marriage is split 50/50 regardless of whise name it is in or who purchased it.

If you already have your separate property (property brought into the marriage and your personal effects, and you do not want anything else (or there isn't anything else) you can waive your claims to any other property.

Just list either "none" or "N/A" or "Petitioner waives claim" on the paperworrk where property information is requested.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Gerald. That is exactly what I needed to know. You advice was great and your response was timely. I appreciate your help with this matter.

You are very welcome.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer