Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

As a claimed dependent from 1994 by friend, with whom I’ve…

As a claimed dependent...

As a claimed dependent from 1994 by friend, with whom I’ve shared a two family home with since 1997 , but am not the ‘legal’ homeowner, yet have made many contributions to home, do I have any legal claim to property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Oh yes. Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Legal homeowner want to sell house. I want to stay. She promised I could and rent out her space. She has reneged and although I want to negotiate a deal so I keep the home Ive been given notice to move.

2/12/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry, but no. Sweat equity (improving the property through elbow grease) and/or other contributions does not give a person claim to interest in the property. Unless there is a written contract/deed giving you the property, this cannot be claimed.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Assumed as much.Appreciate you candor .
This means your doing your job!
Five stars indeed.

Thank you. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer with five stars and then click SEND to submit that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the SEND button to keep on chatting. "I strive for FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law