Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grandson wants to press charges against his father

Customer Question
My grandson wants to...

My grandson wants to press charges against his father aledging that he molested my step granddaughter. My son says that it never happened. Can he be arrested. My granddaughter says it never happened

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

California 5 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

5 years ago it was dismissed because it never happened

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
2/6/2018
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am afraid that if the authorities believe the claim, then they can try to prosecute him.

There is a 10 year statute of limitations for child molestation in California. However, the alleged action can also be prosecuted within one year of whenever a victim tells the police - even past the 10 year mark. This essentially renders the 10 year statute of limitations pointless.

So yes, he can still be charged.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law