Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a multitude of Family law questions regarding

Paternity mediation. Located in...
I have a multitude of Family law questions regarding Paternity mediation. Located in Indiana
I am a 24 year old Male and this case is very specific and there are details i feel are important to share for the right advice. We are heading to mediation very soon and i was just served and was unaware that she had a lawyer. The mother is a great mother to my son and i do not want to take full custody- i am looking to just ensure my rights arent infringed and that my past won't ruin my sons future. The mother and I are also expecting another child after a brief rekindling and failure of trying again. There is much more details that are key. Please help. Thank you
I am interesting in help preparing for Mediation as the Mother of my child also is wanting to settle out of court due to some personal issues on both sides. I am worse off looking so its very important i do not screw this up- but i also want to ensure that my past mistakes do not ruin my future with my Son. I have some stipulations we agreed on and will provide the file below. Its very general and i want to make it specific. Thank you all
1/30/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

You will need to pose your specific questions for us or our response will be overly general for you.

Also, because our experts are not site employees and you are a member, you will need to post new questions as we go along so your expert can receive proper credit by your leaving positive feedback for each of their responses with the appropriate follow up.

Im sorry- is there no private chat here? Id like to be specific but may be mistaken about this site. Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

There is no real privacy on the internet, but your name and identifying information does not appear, just your factual situation and your questions.

Okay that works thank you. So heres the basics. I have some substance abuse issues in the past. I am now able to pass a drug test but i do occasionally smoke marijuana. the Mother of my child does not want to go past mediation for a few reasons
1. She also has used drugs in the past- specifically with me.
2. She had told me that marijuana isn't an issue and she doesnt feel that im using narcotics anymore.
3. She claimed that i would be able to agree to more time( in above file)Now i see that since my Son will be 10 months old, and she has back tracked on over nights. I will not receive more time.Shes requesting my time be supervised at my mothers. I agreed at the time because i really just missed my son so much. Now i am doubting if i should prepare to take it to court or if i could mediate it to the same thing. Theres quite a lot more to it. If i use the call feature what more can we discuss?
Id like to add- that shes a fantastic mother- and should be the primary parent. Im not wanting to take my son from her i just want to prepare to fight for my rights

Thank you for your reply.

Here is the issue with drug use, former drug use is not as near as important to the court as current drug use. The court, if this goes to court, will order random drug testing and they consider marijuana a positive test that could harm your custody. The court also considers if someone is currently in some type of substance abuse program or a support group on a regular basis.

So, your drug use in the past would not usually be something that forces you to lose your rights.

In order to force supervised visitations, she has to prove you are not fit to have the child alone. If you have had the child alone for all this time and you have been sharing time with the child without any incidents, that is worth something to the courts to show you are capable of caring for the child when you have the child.

So you should be arguing for the every other weekend plus one weeknight overnight on your off week. That is actually the standard visitation schedule in Indiana that the courts prefer.

If we use phone service you get 15 minutes of time (approximately as we are fairly accommodating with time to a point).

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.