Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in and my husband and I signed a community property…

I live in Washington...

I live in Washington and my husband and I signed a community property agreement. He passed recently and I discovered that his daughter is the beneficiary of an annuity.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes our will and community property agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The annuity was made two years before we were married - 22 years

1/30/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The CPA would override the beneficiary designation because since he owned the annuity when the CPA was signed, it would be covered by it and would serve to revoke that beneficiary designation.

.

So your recourse here is to contact the annuity company and dispute any payout to the daughter by providing a copy of the CPA to them showing that he essentially revoked that beneficiary designation in favor of you.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer