Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What kind of lawyer deals with overseas property issues?

There is overseas property that...
What kind of lawyer deals with overseas property issues? There is overseas property that I am in a dispute about, and both parties are US citizens.
1/23/2018
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You would likely need a real estate attorney in the country overseas to handle the property issue as the laws of that country would govern the matter. So, most lawyers in the US would not be licensed or knowledgeable about he laws of another country (unless he/she happens to be from that country).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where it gets complicated is that the property was my father's when he divorced my mother, but the assets were never disclosed during the proceedings. Can anything be done here about that or is it all overseas?

Under the laws of most US states, the fact that the property ownership/asset was not disclosed during the divorce proceeding, then it would be grounds to re-open the matter in order to account/divide/distribute the asset. But, I can't say what the law of the country they divorced in would say.

Roger, Attorney
Roger, Attorney