Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Just wondering to know if I can divorce in Nevada or not Due…

Hi just wondering to...

Hi just wondering to know if I can divorce in Nevada or not Due to I got married in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California now

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes But take times I just wanna do fast

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I got married in 2010 in California And we don’t have kids and house Just bought one car in 2017

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you both live in Nevada?

If yes, for how long?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, we both live in California now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am working now, so may not available to talk to you now.

Thank you for the additional information.

To file for divorce in Nevada at least one of the parties must have resided in Nevada for a minimum of six-weeks before filing a divorce.

The Court requires proof of residency in the form of an Affidavit of Resident Witness. The individual who signs this sworn Affidavit in front of a notary must be another Nevada resident who knows you to have lived in Nevada for a minimum of six weeks before the date your divorce is filed.

If you are not a current resident of Nevada, and your spouse is not a current Nevada resident, you must first establish residency in Nevada before filing a divorce there.

It would not matter in which state the marriage occurred.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so how can I get the residency in Nevada, Can the law firm do that for me?

You would need to live there for 6 uninterrupted weeks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so how long ganna be take?

After the papers are filed with the court it normally takes 3-4 days for an uncontested Nevada divorce where both parties are signing the papers. For a Complaint for divorce if the other party is personally served it normally takes 6 weeks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, actually it’s pretty fast. I just also concerned if I can still driving in California when I applied the residency in Nevada or not, just not sure for the drive license.

You can establish residency in Nevada even if you hold a CA drivers license.

You just need to have lived in Nevada for 6 weeks when you file.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But the Property agreement needed to done by California, right

Yes, if both parties are not in Nevada.

Loren, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I got it. Thank you so so much, I appreciated.

You are very welcome. I am glad I could help you.

Loren, Lawyer