Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

When a kid has her biological mom as a guardian and her

grandmother how can I try...
When a kid has her biological mom as a guardian and her grandmother how can I try to remove her
1/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Just to clarify, are you wondering how a grandmother can petition for the termination of the mother's parental rights and gain guardianship?

No both me and her grandmother have guardianship how could I remove hers

Were your parental rights ever terminated? How did the grandmother obtain guardianship?

No and through court I had a tbi
Traumatic brain injury

Thanks for the additional information. What state are you located in?

Requirements vary slightly by jurisdiction, but what you would need to do is file a Motion to Terminate Guardianship.

You would need to demonstrate to the court that the event which led to the guardianship is no longer a concern, ie. that your health is better and in a stable condition, and that you you would now like the emergency guardianship terminated.

The Clerk's Office should have a standard form that you can use, and the clerks can also assist you in getting a court date scheduled for the jude to review your petition.

You should consider having an attorney help you with this process.

You can contact the State Bar Lawyer Referral Service in your state, and there should be a pro bono family lawyer in your area that they can refer you to.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Ok thanks
Alberta