Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I got divorced in NJ 3 years ago, at the time of divorce…

I got divorced in...

I got divorced in NJ 3 years ago, at the time of divorce there was no alimony, and an equitable distribution that included payments for a boat awarded to ex wife. I was earning $150,000 at the time and am now earning less than $70,000 and several bouts of unemployment and am in arrears on the equitable distribution. The ex wife had the judge issue a bench warrant for support. If there is no alimony, can it be support, and why am I not able to prove significant change of circumstance

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

New jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, there is an open bench warrant in nj after my motion to readdress equitable distribution was denied, as judge did not consider a $80k pay cut significant

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

It is a subjective standard, in the judge's discretion, but yes, an $80,000 pay cut, as well as several bouts of unemployment, should be considered a subsntantial change in circumstances that would provide grounds for a reduction or stopping of alimony payments.

Do you have the help of an attorney with your case? If not, then you should consider contacting the NJ State Bar for a referral to a pro bono family law attorney in your area.

The phone number is:

(###) ###-####/p>

Your attorney can file a motion for the bench warrant to be quashed, as well as file a motion for reconsideration on the judge's alimony ruling.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** unanswered part of question is if it is, Payments for equitable distribution, are not considered alimony? Our agreement clearly states there is no alimony, and debtors prion is no longer practiced...
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones