Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to know if I need to file a police report everytime…

Hi. I need to know...
Hi. I need to know if I need to file a police report everytime other parent fails to show up on her weekends that’s she’s ordered by a court order. Can you please advise. Thank you.
1/22/2018
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

No, typically the court order isn't one that would require you to file a police report since it isn't a crime for them not to show up. A family court order usually gives the the "right of possession" but isn't an affirmative order that they must exercise that right. Regardless, it wouldn't be a criminal case either way.

You do want to document their failure to appear in some manner but you can do that by keeping a journal, making a video for the time they are supposed to be appearing which shows the news on television and the child there or something like that. If you have a lawyer you use you can ask them what method the judge in your case prefers because many have a specific method they give more credence to.

JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
I see. My husband has a problem with other parent spanking the child, “supposedly” because she talked by to her mom, she spanked in her butt, she thinks is no big deal but this happened when husband went to pick her up, his daughter got in the cry crying non stop stating her mom had hit her. Biological mom filed a RO against father and aren’t these “custody child exchange pick up’s” are supposed to be “peaceful”, RO states this, but does that apply to her as well? It sounds like she’s looking for excuses to push the buttons in my husband. Can my husband verbally request for her not to ever spank their child when he is picking her up? Oh does it need to be a court order?