Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband is problem in gambling and substance abuse he…

Hi my husband is...

Hi my husband is problem in gambling and substance abuse he lost his job bec of this .im a bread winner and i want divorse him bec it affect our finances .i dont to support him as it goes to his vice instead of my child future Can

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

1/22/2018
QuickEasyLegalHelp

I am a Criminal Law attorney expert and a former District Attorney, and I will be helping you. Nice to meet you.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not create an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I will be answering your question with the expectation that if you are satisfied with my answer, you will give a positive rating.

I can see that you just joined Just Answer, Welcome!

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys do not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If that works for you, let me know and we can proceed : )

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking:

1-what happens with the money in a divorce in California?

Let me know which parts I got right and fill me in on the other parts and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I reguseI dont to pay alimony as my husband has gambling and sustance problem we joint acct but each salary he gambles it im struggling to pay all our financial obligation.pls help.thanks.

First of all, I am so sorry this is happening to you. This sounds like a terrible situation!!

California is a community property state, meaning all of the assets of the marriage will be divided equally when you divorce. If you are the breadwinner, you might be ordered to pay your husband alimony, based on several factors, including whether he has his own job, how long you were married, etc.

You need a local lawyer to represent you in court, so you can prove to the Judge that you need to have a different divorce settlement from the "usual" as your husband has a gambling addiction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont want to pay alimony as my husband spend it in gambling and other addiction like sustance abuse.we have a child and i feel like its waste to give alimony instead of saving it for my child.
He cant keep a job bec of his problem or if he does he spent most of his money gambling.pls help me as i dont want to pay alimony.what shuold i do.

Yes, I totally hear you (and AGREE with you!)

You will need to go to the court and provide evidence of his gambling alongside with your claim for divorce.

I recommend that you create a detailed time log showing everything that has happened in regards ***** ***** substance abuse AND gambling. Also, please start gathering any evidence you can showing the gambling/substance abuse - this would be receipts, paperwork, etc.

You will need a local lawyer to help you.

Would you like me to send you a resource to help you find one in your area that specializes in divorce?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel im abuse fi
nacially and him needs to stop asking me money to support his vice even takes money from my daugthers allowance.to support his addiction.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is helpful.thank u.

Yup, that is exactly why you are getting a divorce from him. As soon as you are divorced you will no longer be responsible for his gambling debts/substance costs!!

It was my pleasure to answer your question and I wish you good luck with this!

If I have answered your question and you are satisfied, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

It does not cost you anything to click and it is the only way I can get credit for my work, and of course a positive 5 star rating would be appreciated.

You can still ask me all your follow up questions, even after you please leave a positive rating at the top of your screen.

I wish you all the best in 2018.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55356;���������

Super, please scroll to the top of your screen and click 5 stars! I really appreciate you and I am sending you so much positive energy to get through this!

PS - I don't know what those little question marks are!

If you feel I have answered your question, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its hard to get evidence for gambling as it no reciete its not on casino but in house card. My daugther witness it .

Then, depending on how old she is, she can testify in the trial. Just bear in mind that it can be traumatic for a child to testify against their parent.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry. Its typo.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It meant five star.

Super! I know you are new to JustAnswer, so let me help! Just scroll to the top of your screen and click on the 5 stars up there. It does not cost you anything extra to click and it is the only way I can get credit for my time. Thank you!

QuickEasyLegalHelp

Thank you! I am wishing you all the best. Hang in there and if you have more questions, you can always ask for me directly by typing ForCustomerat the start of your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know.this is challenging as his gambling done in a house that hold it illegally and coffee shops.he dont ask reciept.but anyway thanks need refferal from local.to help me move forward.thanks.

Absolutely, then your time line documenting everything that happens (and has already happened) will be even more important.

Sending referrals to lawyers in one moment....

What city/county are you in (in California)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Santa Clara county.

Divorce lawyers in Santa Clara County California:

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/divorce/california/santa-clara-county

https://www.avvo.com/divorce-separation-lawyer/ca/santa_clara.html

Set up a free consultation with 3-4 of them and when you meet with them, make sure you feel like they listen to you and have compassion for your situation. Make sure they are patient and you feel like you can talk straight with them. Bring the timeline you create and any paperwork you can find.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

Absolutely!

QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp, Lawyer