Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was divorced in 2012. The divorce decree states that I can…

Hi! I was divorced...

Hi! I was divorced in 2012. The divorce decree states that I can claim our youngest daughter (18 y.o.) on tax return and my ex can claim the other daughter (20 y.o.). The problem is that I have been paying all the college tuition so far on my 20 y.o. and the majority of her medical expenses with no help from my ex. Does the divorce decree on that matter extend beyond when they turn 18? I ha e been their primary residence right along.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so. My ex did not help either with college for our son, who graduated last year and I am in debt for helping him.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Okay. How much am I being charged for your answer? Not sure if it is $5 or $31? Not very clear.

The divorce decree doesn't go beyond age 18 here when they became adults unless it specifies that it does.Otherwise you are free to claim them since you can prove the support you provided.I would advise the wife here to try and stop a double claiming.You paid for tuition you have legitimate right to claim them as adult dependents.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Thank you. I am the wife! I have been letting my ex claim my older daughter but it has recently occurred to me that this is not fair to me. My spousal support and child support also just ended when my youngest just turned 18.

Thank again.