Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and I live in different states now. Both states are…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I live in different states now. Both states are different from the state we got married in. What state do i need to file for divorce in?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in California now, she lives in Ohio. We got married in Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/19/2018
Family Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank You for posting your divorce law question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your question. Both parties to a divorce don't need to be resident in California for your to file for a divorce.

The Family Ct has jurisdiction to accept your application so long as you are a resident for filing purposes.

Th e requirement is a 6 moth residency period prior to filing and that you be living 4 months in the County that you file the application in.

Once the divorce is filed the court reserves jurisdiction to hear your case.

So you don't need necessarily to file in Tennessee.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attorney Bill