Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have questions about my legal right as a parent of a 14…

I have questions about...

I have questions about my legal right as a parent of a 14 year old child who has left without my permission and is staying with grandparents.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been threatened by a family member that they will call CPS if I dont allow my daughter to stay with them

1/19/2018
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The child is a run away and the grandparents are harboring a run away. You have the right as a parent to have the child returned to you. Harboring a runaway is a misdemeanor designed "to protect minors and to help parents and legal guardians exercise reasonable care, supervision, protection, and control over minor children."

See: http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/272.html

You may contact the police and file a complaint against the grandparents for the return of your child.

CPS does not have authority to take action against you unless there is evidence of abuse or neglect of the child by you.

See:

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ss/ap/childabusereportingguide.asp

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Does drinking alcohol in the presence of my child constitute child abuse?
No. An adult may drink in front of their child.
Drunkenness to the point of incapacity on a regular basis can be an issue.
Of course.

It sounds like the grandparents are over reaching or the child is telling them something that is not true or both.

You can call the police and they should return your child to you.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer