Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My maintenance was recently terminated because I inherited a…

Customer Question
My maintenance was recently...

My maintenance was recently terminated because I inherited a large sum of money from my parents. While I understand the ruling, I had a huge issue with my ex husband and his lawyer saying I inherited $300,000 more than I did. I believe this was done purposely and fraudulently. How can I get accountability for their actions?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet. I just received the ruling...my lawyer tells me to just let it go.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure. They claimed I inherited 1.2 million when the truth is it was about $850,000. Also, our adult daughters live with me as well as my grandson.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/19/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 month ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You can file complaint against them with the Court for perpetrating a fraud on the Court. Also, if her Attorney knowingly lied, he could get in trouble with Attorney Discipline. However, you need the current Judge to rule that they perpetrated a fraud on the Court in order to file complaint against the Attorney for misconduct with Wisconsin Attorney Discipline.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law