Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My partner put a temporary restraining order on my soon to…

My partner put a...

My partner put a temporary restraining order on my soon to be ex husband , I got subpeona to appear at their hearing, I don’t have a lawyer I had an adulterous affair. What is my rights? Can I plead the 5 th ammendment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nh

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Divorce papers filed, two restraining orders against him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My divorce isn’t finalized , and the hearing is about another persons restraining order

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I noticed you requested a phone call, and I'm happy to speak with you over the phone, but it appears there was an issue with processing payment for it.

You can contact customer support and they'll be able to help you get this resolved, so that we can get connected. You can reach a customer support agent here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

We can also continue across the chat if you prefer.

The answer to your question is yes you can plead the 5th.

Your 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination applies to civil hearings such as this as well, not just to criminal hearings.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
if I plead the fifth , I won’t have to answer any questions

Yes, that's correct.

Pleading the 5th protects you from being compelled to testify, on the basis that your testimony would be self- incriminating.

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones