Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I’m scheduled to go to Court at the end of this month in…

I’m scheduled to go...

I’m scheduled to go to Court at the end of this month in Texas to get my child support modified

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I life in Louisiana and the custodial mother lives in Louisiana as well but another city

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She is still claiming her address in Houston to utilize their rules and guidelines which is much more stregent than Louisiana’s.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I l know of can I call and as to have the court petitioned and moved to Louisiana

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about this.

How long has the mother been living in Louisiana?

This girl intentionally got pregnant just to get paid! And it appears thats all she wanted.
Especially after she couldn’t breakup my marriage.
I was laid off last year and have a disabeled wife
I just paid with my card
Is this another fee?
This girl/ woman has been living there now firs little over 2 years now I’m told

Thanks for the additional information. If she's been living in Louisiana for 2 years now then she has established residency there, and no longer holds residency in Texas.

Residency is established once you've lived in a state for 6 months.

Since she no longer holds valid Texas residency, yes you should notify the court that there is no longer jurisdiction in Texas and file a motion for your case to be transferred to Louisiana.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

I personally haven’t confirmed this physically All I have is a Facebook account and address. Also a phone numberwhich was located on the internet aswell
Thanks

You'd want to make sure that this is confirmed first before you petition the court.

You'll need to attach some form of substantive evidence to your motion to transfer jurisdiction.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones