Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What happens to a marriage certificate if that couple gets…

What happens to a...

What happens to a marriage certificate if that couple gets divorced?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Marriage was in Queens New York, Divorce was in Clark County NV

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

1/17/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

My brother passed away and his ex-wife just signed as his wife at the funeral home. I am worried she is going to try and get his life insurance, etc because the death certificate will list her as next of kin

The marriage license is recorded.It remains on file to show when you were married.You would keep it to show marriage and divorce decree in the event you need to remarry someday thats about the only use.

You would want to contact insurance and tell them he was divorced and produce copy of decree.They would honor such information and deny her claim here.

I am so sorry for your loss, appreciate the chance to help you.

Thanks for rating 5 stars let me know if you have more.

the insurance company wouldn't know unless they were told, correct?

Usually they know about such changes but its a good idea here to let them know just in case.

OK. The funeral home refuses to change the information even though we showed proof. Arent they legally liable to change the information since they now have proof of their divorce?

Recent legislation enacted in Nevada, known as NRS 111.781, has changed how life insurance proceeds may be distributed after divorce. Under NRS 111.781, all listed beneficiaries on your life insurance policies are automatically revoked once your divorce is finalized. In addition, the statute mandates the revocation of all of the following:

• Wills and trusts
  • Powers of attorney
  • Any document that permits an ex-spouse to serve in a fiduciary capacity on your behalf

Law prohibits divorced spouse from claiming this.So make sure you tell hem.

Awesome! Thank you Ray!

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer