Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I disagree more often than not. The real

Hi my husband and I...
Hi my husband and I disagree more often than not. The real issue comes when it involves business decisions. We own rental properties and he does whatever he wants our latest blow our is about one of the properties our tenant wants his son to move in with him for (2 weeks) to get to know him better, he has been there on the weekends to help him so we have been told. The kid was put up for adoption,his parents want to keep a close eye on him., thats why he want to move . We were never told about him I am against this because once he is there if he doesnt leave we will have to evict him, my husband says not to worry, what recoarse do I have I am on the verge of divorce he even refinanced our mortgage against my wishes. I will not be held responsible for this. Can we lose all our properties because of this
1/17/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I am not sure what you mean when you ask if you could lose all your properties?

.

If you let the kid move in and things don't work out, you just evict the tenant and the kid.. I don't know how this could turn into you losing all your properties..

.

And if you were to allow it, you have the tenant sign an amendment to his lease that states that the son gets to stay for 2 weeks max and then he would have to leave or it would be a violation of the lease and they agree you can terminate the lease with a 3 day notice and then evict.

.

That puts the burden on the tenant to make sure the kid leaves and goes home or he risks getting thrown out.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Sorry as far as losing the properties he refinanced our house against my wishes, when the harp program came out ,we refinaced our house we were on the finale rate increase so we contacted our lender to see if they could lock us into a lower rate, they said they could, but when the figures came in they did not make sense and I refused to sign my husband on the other hand told them to go ahead and do it. Well turns out the figures were wrong we are now locked into a 40 years mortgage with a large balloon payment at the end. They are once again trying to adjust our mortgage but if they cannot we may just lose our house can we lose the rentals as well and can I be held resposible for this when I didnt agree to it.

If the property is in your name as well, and you never signed the loan paperwork to refi, then they shouldn't have continued with the refinance unless husband forged your signature..

.

If they just allowed him to sign and you are both on the deed, that loan is defective and you could file suit to have it set aside because you never legally agreed to it.

.

But if you did, and the property was eventually foreclosed on and it sold for less than what was owed, then yes, the lender could sue you for any deficiency and try to enforce that by liening other property you owned and force a sale of it..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer