Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I would like to make sure kids travel expenses are shared in…

Customer Question
Good evening,I would like to...
Good evening,I would like to make sure kids travel expenses are shared in the decree. She will have custody. When it says "ordered" does that imply the cost is paid for by that parent or do i need to state somewhere travel costs will be shared? This is what the decree states below. Thank you.1. Surrender of Child by Obligee - Obligee is ORDERED to surrender the child to Obligor at the beginning of each period of Obligor's possession at the residence of Obligee.2. Return of Child by Obligor - Obligor is ORDERED to return the child to the residence of Obligee at the end of each period of possession. However, it is ORDERED that, if Obligee and Obligor live in the same county at the time of rendition of this order, Obligor's county of residence remains the same after rendition of this order, and Obligees's county of residence changes, effective on the date of the change of residence by Obligee, Obligor shall surrender the child to Obligee at the residence of Obligor at the end of each period of possession.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Since the court order doesn't say, the costs of travel would typically remain with the parent doing the travel. In this case, the fact that the judge set it up so pick-ups and drop offs are at the same parent's house AND didn't mention paying for travel, the implication would be that the non-custodial parent would bear their own travel expenses.

This reading is supported by the second paragraph, where the judge changes the pick-up location in the event that the custodial parent moves out of the county (because that would increase the burden on the non-custodial parent). So you're only sharing expenses if the non-custodial parent decides to move.

To ensure that all costs are shared, you would file a Motion to Clarify, noting that the decree is unclear and explaining why travel expenses should be shared.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for the time spent speaking with you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the reply, wife will have custody and lives in Florida and I live in Texas. The decree says she is "ordered" to have the kids at my house to drop off. Doesnt then that means she is financially responsible for the travel expenses incurred while dropping off kids at my house? Thank you.

Yes. If she wanted you to pay for that, the order would have to say so.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer