Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son is in prison and the mother of my 3 granddaughters…

Customer Question
My son is in...

My son is in prison and the mother of my 3 granddaughters has not been providing a good home for the girls and now her sister is trying to take them even though grandparents have no rights in GA or TN wouldn't I have rights over the aunt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in TN and they live in GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The aunt has filed a motion to take custody of them and court is the 29th of Jan. my mom has power of attorney over all my sons affairs.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 7 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

What you can do is file your own motion for custody, asking that it be heard on the same day as the sister's.

If you want to send me the city and county in Georgia where the sister is filing, I can see whether it is one of the jurisdictions that make motion forms available to the public.

To do that, I'll need to know what kind of case the sister is filing a motion in - divorce, paternity, child abuse/neglect?
If the case is a child abuse/neglect case, you best course of action may be to contact the Child Protective Services social worker and the children's guardian ad litem. Have you contacted either before?

Sue

No...They live in Dublin, GA, Laurens Cty.She is filing based on neglect of the mother. Not sure.

So she may be filing for guardianship or for adoption. The pleadings will be somewhat different.

Do you have a way of finding out what sort of case the sister is filing?

Sue

I have sent a messge to the aunt to ask her what she is filing waiting to hear
I think full custody

Apologies for my delay.

There are several different ways to request full custody. That's why it's important to try to figure out what sort of case the sister is filing.

Here is a good link to the Georgia Legal Aid Society's webpage, which has adoption information and forms on it. You may not be eligible for their services, as you're out-of-state, but you can utilize their forms if the sister filed an adoption petition.

Here is a link to the Dublin County Probate Court, which handles guardianships of the minor.

I hope these links and the information I am providing are helpful to you.

This thread remains open about a week, so if other questions come up, please let me know.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please do let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 6 months ago

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Sue