Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Son borrowed money from a girl he was seeing. Relationship…

Customer Question
Son borrowed money from a...
Son borrowed money from a girl he was seeing. Relationship ended and he did not pay off on timely manner. As verbally agreed upon since he took over grandfather's house and the pay off date was not possible. She took him to small clsims court and while court is 1 month away, they work together and she is telling everyone at their work about how she is sueing him for 375.00 and how she knows the judge and she's going to screw him.
She won't accept payment unless it is in full. He has tried to reason with her and she will not.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I understand. I'm just asking so I can give him the best way for him to handle it. I've already told him to make payment, don't respond to her texts or calls, or the bragging at work. He needs to remain calm and mature. He's freaking out because "court" is involved now.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.

Do you have a specific question with regards ***** ***** case that I can help you with?

No. Disregard this then. I paid the amount it asked. I don't want to get tricked into paying more. Thank you. I do not require any assistance.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

If there is a personal relationship between your son's ex-girlfriend and the judge, and you believe this will cause a bias, then your son can file a motion requesting that the judge recuse himself.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

No problem, good luck!

You can contact customer support at the following link to discuss cancelling your account or question.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Recuse himself? Typo?
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

No it wasn't a typo. A judge can be recused if they know one of the parties in a case over which they are presiding. This is to prevent any bias from influencing a legal judgment.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help