Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

A. Salmeron. I have an 8 year-old child in Mexico. I live in…

Customer Question
Hello. My name is*****...

Hello. My name is***** I have an 8 year-old child in Mexico. I live in Arizona. The mother of my child started a child support claim in California. By mistake I showed to court in California, By showing, I gave them jurisdiction. Two years ago, the court in California declare that they don't have jurisdiction in my case. They agreed with the change of venae. However, they still kept the automatic deductions from my check. They told me that that will remain in place until either Mexico or Arizona take over the case and a payment arrangement is established by the court. Mexico didn't want to make a payment arrangement, only a visitation arrangement. The court in California is aware of this Mexican court arrangement. but still didn't want to stop the deductions. I haven't got the money to start a case in Arizona. Now, I'm in the process of moving to another state looking for another job. If I move to another state, does California have jurisdiction to continue charging me with money I pay now Can they make me pay the time until the other state takes over my case?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Arizona. The case exists in California. I am planning on moving to Texas or Utah.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/15/2018
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. AZ has jurisdiction now? That is, there is an AZ court order on this issue (so AZ took jurisdiction from CA)?

CA is continuing taking my payments from my payroll. Arizona has no information of my case. Mexico has started the visitation but no payments. CA dos not want to let go on me from making payments until I arrange a new payments arrangement with either Mexico or AZ. I want to move to Utah or Texas
I can't talk now. I can't pay that money now
do you have an answer for me? Can the state of CA continue
can CA continue charging me after I leave for Utah or Texas? and if CA can do that, Can I open a new case in the other state so I can get CA out of the case?
I am sorry for the delay, I was called away. One more question, is the other parent and child still living in California? Or have they moved, and if so to what state?